High tension in Thailand: Thaksin government overthrown in coup - September 19, 2009
September, 2006 - What apparently has happened: From New York, PM Thaksin declared a state of emergency recalling Commander-in-Chief Sonthi from the deep south--this was, in effect, firing him. At about the same time, the military under Sonthi staged a counter-coup and cancelled Thaksin's state of emergency taking control of key areas in Bangkok.
Discuss on the forum
Also: Hat Yai blasts
Also: 2Bangkok.com exclusive: Conversation with a southern separatist
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Milling Ghosts Entering Parliament
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Thai Govt should cease pressuring the Central Bank – Rate cuts "futile and misguided"
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Yingluck Billboard
- UK scientist who accused Thai govt official of plagiarism has reported receiving death & kidnap threats
- Directions to Bangkok's 24-hour casinos
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- China dashes Thai hopes of cutting huge rice stockpile
- Myanmar’s Lawless Land